Overview and Mandate of the Directorate
The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries prioritize the transformation of Colleges of Agriculture in the country. In this regard, a dedicated unit in the Department for the transformation of these colleges was established. This unit came to be known as Sectoral Colleges. The mandate of the Directorate Sectoral Colleges is derived from the following legislations.
- The Skills Development Act (Act No 97 of 1997)
- The Skills Development Levies Act
- The Higher Education Act (Act 101 of 1997)
- The Further Education and Training Colleges Bill, 2006
- The White Paper on Education
- The Sector Strategic Plan, 2001
- The national Agricultural Education and Training Strategy, 2005
The purpose of the Directorate Sectoral Colleges is to provide advice and strategic leadership on the development, implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of national policies and strategies for the transformation of Sectoral Colleges into Agricultural Training Institutes; and to ensure of information in pursuit of human resource development in the sector. In order to achieve this, the directorate will prioritise the following:
- Develop and facilitate the implementation of the national Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Education and Training Strategy.
- Developed an implementation Plan for future Governance of Colleges of Agriculture.
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of policies and strategies for Agricultural Training Institutes (ATI).
- Ensure the development and implementation of targeted training programmes by ATIs.
- Develop and Publish reports on agriculture, forestry and fisheries education and training.
- Ensure the generation of appropriate agriculture, forestry and fisheries qualifications for the advancement of agriculture, forestry and fisheries.
- Facilitate the development of Implementation Protocol between the Departments of Agriculture and Education for the advancement of agricultural education and training.
- Coordinate and manage the development of the vocational training strategy.
Clients of the Directorate
The clients of the Directorate Sectoral Colleges include the following:
- Colleges of Agriculture
- Provincial Departments of Agriculture
- Faculties of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries in Institutions of Higher Learning
- Agricultural High Schools
- Further Education and Training Institutions with agriculture, forestry and fisheries offerings
- Agriculture, forestry and fisheries Line Function SETAs
- Agricultural CBOs and NGOs
- South African Youth
- Farmers Union
- Directorates/Functional Units in the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Mr. Sivelile Nompozolo
Director: Sectoral Colleges
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
20 Steve Biko Street, Arcadia, PRETORIA, 0007
Private Bag X 250,
Tel: 012 - 319 6957
Fax: 012 - 319 6851