The responsibilities of people in control of land
All owners on whose land a veldfire may start or burn or from whose land it may spread must:
- prepare firebreaks on their side of the boundary if there is a reasonable risk of veldfire
- have such equipment, protective clothing and trained personnel for extinguishing fires as are:
- prescribed (in the regulations)
- if there are no regulations, reasonably required in the circumstances
- take all reasonable steps to notify the FPO of the local FPA (if there is one) when a fire breaks out
- do everything in their power to stop the spread of the fire.
The Act also requires that if the owner is absent, he or he must have a responsible person present on or nearby his or her land to:
The owner may appoint an agent to act on his or her behalf to perform these duties.
- extinguish a fire if one broke out, or assist others to do so
- take all reasonable steps to alert the neighbours and the FPA (if there is one).