To regulate and provide an integrated national management system in support of conservation and sustainable use of genetic resources for food and agriculture.
- Develop and implement policies, legislations, strategies norms, and standards on the management of genetic resources for food and agriculture.
- Regulate and promote the availability of propagating material of genetic resources for food and agriculture.
- To provide a risk-mitigating system in support of agricultural biodiversity.
In pursuing these aims, the Directorate administers the following Acts on behalf of the Minister for Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries:
- The Plant Breeders' Rights Act. 1976 (Act No.15 of 1976)
- Genetically Modified Organisms Act, 1997 (Act No.15 of 1997
Director: Genetic Resources Department of Agriculture Private bag x973 PRETORIA